Congratulations to Mayank Sharma and the Asian Leadership Network, TD Canada for winning "Business Award"...
"Mayank¬†Sharma and the Asian Leadership Network (ALN), ¬†an affinity group of TD-MBNA¬†Canada, was the recipient of¬†the Business Award from the Immigrant¬†Women Services Ottawa as part of their 25th Anniversary Celebrations on¬†March 6th, 2014.¬† IWSO¬†awarded several other people with awards for ¬†outstanding community service which has a positive impact on the lives of women. (Mayank, centre, with his¬†colleagues Chris and Kevin) Mayank¬†is an internationally trained professional from India¬†who migrated¬†to Ottawa¬†in 2003, when he first made contact with World Skills. He¬†accessed several of World Skills ¬†pre-employment services such as resume writing and interview coaching and secured a job with TD Canada, as a customer representative.¬† His career accelerated quite rapidly - today he is a Business Integration Process Consultant/Analyst.¬†As soon as he got established in his career, he returned to World Skills in 2010 ¬†to explore how he could give back to the organization which helped¬†him get started.¬†¬†By that time, he was chair of the Asian Leadership Network and worked collaboratively ¬†World Skills to develop a Corporate Mentorship Program which was piloted¬†in 201o¬†and has run¬†since then at TD Canada.¬†¬†He is¬†passionate about supporting newcomers in economic ¬†integration. Over the last four years,¬†through the TD-World Skills Mentorship Program¬†we have been able to address several of the barriers which newcomers face and have achieved the following:¬†
- a guide for mentorship, which¬† is a model to develop more corporate mentorship programs
- 31 internationally trained individuals¬†have benefited directly from being mentees to this program and 60% of them have been able to secure employment through the expanded networks and resume and interview coaching
- 120 additional newcomers have benefited from training provided by the staff of TD for resume writing and interview techniques.
- 70 TD staff are engaged¬†as¬†mentors, interview coaches and supports for newcomers, including supporting newcomers at a resume clinic at World Skills every Wednesday afternoon.
- support for other initiatives such as the¬†‚ÄúAlternative Career Event‚Äù which is an annual event¬†hosted by Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Hire Immigrants Ottawa and World Skills, to support internationally¬†trained¬†individuals to¬†explore alternative careers in Canada